Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Getting NTP Server to work on Asus RT-AC3200 in Access Point (AP) Mode

I just received my Asus RT-AC3200 today and immediately put it to work.  I have a Sonicwall Firewall in my home so my wireless access only needs to be access points.  It just so happens that Access Points with the features I was looking for are more expensive than buying a full blown router so I opted for the RT-AC3200 due to reviews.

After installation and configuration in AP mode I noticed that the date on the router was incorrect and the default NTP pool.ntp.org server was unreachable.  This really was unacceptable because all the log entries had a ridiculous date on them and any time based restriction rules would not work.

The setup page kept telling me that it had not synchronized with the NTP server but did not give any error code or reason it could not connect.

I corrected the problem by simply inputting the IP address of the NTP server (129.6.15.28) instead of the URL (time-a.nist.org) and to connection to the server was successful.  I found the list of time servers here: http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

I hope this can help someone else.

7 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I'd like to thank you for your post. This actually gave me the clues what to do with my ASUS RT-AC3200 system time. it was showing Feb 2 00:00:00 20136!
    I knew it may have something to do with the NTP service, but, since there was not indication (error) nowhere in the router web interface, I was not sure about it. But once, I read your post, it clued me to search for NTP servers for my location, and tried this one " us.pool.ntp.org"
    It still did not fixed it, since the system time now shows up "Jul 31 17:06:28 ntp: start NTP update" At least it is way closer (21 years to now) LOL!!!.

    Please, note if you have any smart TV with these many years of difference, some of the built in applications may start prompting security warnings that you will need to select "Proceed" when you run them, but they still may not work at all. YouTube, Amazon Prime, Yahoo Apps, etc. will complain you are not connected to the internet, etc. (this happened to my Sharp and Vizio Smart TVs, and they both started behaving the same with similar apps. So heads up!

    I'll keep searching and I will contact ASUS to report such a concern, hopping they may be aware about it and know the fix, or at least the work around.
    Again, thank you for your post, it was really helpful.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also put the IP adress into my ASUS66 router. It did not work and the system log showed that it was trying to access it.
    After Rebooting the router, it DID work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but I got here thru some google searches.

    To resolve this, I had to go into the LAN settings and make the default gateway on my Access Point my main routers IP address. It immediately rebooted and synced with the time server.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! I have an ASUS RT-AC55U, and pointing the default gateway to my main router resolved my NTP sync issue! :)

      Delete
  4. i am using my asus router as my main router. in my case just inputting the ip address of the ntp server did not resolve the issue but replacing the dns given by my isp with google dns did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This worked. Nothing else did. Thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using and RT-66W in AP Mode. I had not set a Default Gateway. As soon as I did, issue was resolved.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete