Friday, June 28, 2013

Sugarsync vs. Google Drive

I just dropped Sugarsync cloud storage in favor of Google Drive.  I used Sugarsync for over a year and I originally selected it above others at the time because I could configure it to use my current folder structure without having to move everything to one folder and because it was reasonably priced.

I was happy with it for about a year until their price increased and then with the release of Sugarsync 2.0 I started having crashes constantly and customer service was of no help.  I sent them a .dat file as requested repeatedly but they never could seem to fix the crashing problem.

Then suddenly it went away- it must have been an update that solved that problem.

Then other thing I disliked about Sugarsync was their subjugation of a drive letter.  It installs a S: drive titled Sugarsync drive the just confused me.  Despite Sugarsync's insistence of the Sugarsync drive being a benefit, I could not see the need for that drive.

Then last but not least was the price.  For personal users Sugarsync is $9.99 / month for 100 GB and Google drive is $4.99 for the same storage capacity- a difference of $60 per year.

So now I am moving all my files over to my Google drive which means now I have to access all my personal stuff under a folder called Google Drive but hopefully that will not be problem living with.

No comments:

Post a Comment